The volunteer steering group that put together Windermere Christmas Market met yesterday at the Lindeth Howe in Bowness-on-Windermere to discuss how we are going to make our Community Christmas celebration even better for 2017. Here are some of the items we discussed:
· We are well ahead in paid up stall holders than at this point last year and are looking at ensuring the best mix of Craft to Food (including hot food, drinks and takeaway goodies like chocolate etc).
· Operating times – We want to extend hours on the Saturday. So now we will be open 11am – 8pm on Saturday and 10am – 4pm on Sunday.
· Given the number of applications we have considered the potential to expand onto Cross Street subject to demand and consultation with residents.
· Free shuttle bus from and to Bowness-on-Windermere as the primary site for parking.
· Print an official event Programme listing entertainment times both at the event and at local businesses in the evening, our sponsors and highlighting public messages such as the support from our Police.
· We have a fantastic roster of entertainment. This year all formal entertainment will be located outside Lamplighter Dining Rooms.
· Last year we had a great performance by Salvation Army Band. But unfortunately the did not inform us they were coming, this year we will seek to get them involved formally.
· Improve the crossing at Booths with barriers and signage
· Create more space at the bottom of Victoria Street and run barriers along the bottom of the road to the crossing
· Consult the traffic management company regarding the junction on Elleray Road and A591 seeking to reduce traffic impact.
· Extra Marshals required as well as litter pickers and bins. Windermere Air cadets have agreed to help support marshalling which is very gratefully received.
· Police to speak with stalls and local pubs selling alcohol and their responsibilities.
· Liaise with the Police regarding security and unauthorised vehicles accessing the site.
· Liaise with Northern Rail and Stagecoach on transport solutions. Including discounted ticketing.
· Speak with licensing regarding an official charity collection license, something we weren’t able to do last time due to restrictions on on street charity collections
· Investigate the possibility of getting outdoor speakers for background music